Thursday, July 10, 2008

Meanwhile...

Now that the computers are safely on their way (see last post), I am about to get on board too. I finally leave for CI this weekend, and I am ready to go! I can't wait...hubby has been back and forth over the last couple of years, and I can't wait to see himm and try living in a new country - at least for this year... 

In addition, I had a great conversation with the newly appointed director of an American K-12 school in Abidjan, whom I will also be working with during my stay, and she is very excited about the idea of doing community service with Bingerville. That is great news, I think, and I can't wait to meet her. (By the way, she's still looking for some teachers - language arts and elementary ed....) 

I'm so fortunate to be able to do this...while w
e're waiting, I ought to give out a few props.

This is Al - the man really responsible for making it all happen - as Technology coordinator at our school, he worked with the John and the students iof AACT,  helping them to realize their dream by working the magic of tyng their community service idealism to the practical real world Microsoft Authorized  Refurbishing Certification. 

On my end, Al and I have worked together for years to create an electronic library for our students that is available to all the students of Hudson County Schools of Technology. Check it out . 

When I told him about my desire to do this project, he said "Ok, let's see what we can do." Somewhere in there, the MAR project and mine combined in his cog and wheel brain and voila! A dream became a possiblity! 

Here he is helping me with the last re-packaging effort before loading them into the truck to take them to cargo for shipping. I keep trying to thank him, but it's never enough. He's getting something really good from Cote d'Ivoire when I come back, that's for sure!

In other GREAT news, we received a very nice donation from an unexpected source -- a long time friend and high school classmate, Gary Tyler found me on Facebook, and dropped a donation for a few books in his mother's name! What a nice way to use a gift. 

His mom, Willy, was an educator for life, and a strong supporter of reaing books and libraries, so we know she will really appreciate it. On behalf of his mother, CD, United! will be purchasing some of its first order of books from Follett International Library Resources.  
(Check out the Donation link on the sideba. If you;d like to see a list of the book titles we have on reserve, please email me at childrenofthediasporaunited@gmail.com )

I also had the rare and special pleasure of at tending my frst French teacher's retirement dinner a few weeks ago. I had Madame O. in 7th and 8th grade. She was from Nigeria, and I remember thinking at that time,  "Neat - I didn't know people in Africa could speak French!" 

I think it was she who sparked an early interest in Africa -  that and a childhood playmate, Oketchiku, that I had a crush on -- and definately inspired in me the desire to learn the language. 

I am grateful to her too, for her donation of French texts and workbooks. It was really special to be able to see her at the end of her career and say "Merci!"

Thanks again, Al, Gary, Gary's mom, and Madame O.!

No comments: